PROJECT 5H-OTEC SYSTEM - 3kW TURBINE FOR ORC SYSTEM
Project Leader: Prof. Ir. Dr. Shuhaimi Mansor (UTM)
- There is an abundance of low-grade waste heat and ocean temperature difference. These are unexploited resources which could be the future of sustainable energy resources.
- New ORC Turbine heat conversion technologies need to be developed and improved to take advantage of the low-grade heat renewable energy supply.
- The ORC Turbine is well suited for this application, mainly because of the availability of low-grade heat and the possibility to be implemented in decentralized lower-capacity power plants.
- For this project the ORC Turbine will be inserted into the Advanced Hybrid Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC), providing the required energy harvesting component of the system.
- To develop an engineering model for the ORC turbine system.
- To design, build and test a prototype of 3 kW output capacity.
- Optimization and implementation of 3 kW ORC Turbine system into the overall OTEC system
Novel theories / New findings / Knowledge
New turbine technology to extract low-grade heat energy
Fifteen (15) journal papers
Specific or Potential Applications
All low-grade waste thermal energy resource (air conditioning cooler exhaust waste heat chimney)
Number of PhD and Masters (by research) Students
- PhD Student(s): 3
- Master Student(s): 3
- Prof. Ir. Dr. Shuhaimi Mansor – PROJECT LEADER
- Ir. Dr. Shabudin bin Mat
- Prof. Madya Ainullotfi Abdul Latif
- Mr. Wan Zaidi Wan Omar
- Dr. Md Nizam Dahalan
- Dr. Ing Mohd Nazri Mohd Nasir
- Dr. Iskandar Shah Ishak
- Dr. Norazila Othman
- Dr. Mastura Ab Wahid
- Dr. Nik Ahmad Ridhwan Nik Mohd
- Mr. Azrin Ariffin