PROJECT 4H-OTEC ENVIRONMENT - SURFACE / DEEP SEA WATER ANALYSIS, ENVIRONMENTAL DNA (eDNA), OCEANOGRAPHY
Project Leader: Dr. Suriyanti Su Nyun Pau (UKM)
- Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) technology function is to extract the heat from the Sun stored in the upper layer of the warm sea water column in the tropics, and to convert it into electricity through a phase-change working fluid, like the ammonia, into gas that runs a turbo-generator.
- One of the by-products derived from OTEC technology is mineral drinking water.
- This follows that the mineral content in the drinking water must be optimal and be free from hazardous substances, bacteria and biotoxins.
- Activities that take place during the installation, operation and maintenance phases might adversely affect and constantly change the nature of the receiving waters.
- Environmental protection and tentative monitoring are crucial to avoid negative after-impacts and to ensure the sustainable development of green technology.
- Hence, the setting and design of OTEC should be selected on the basis which prevents interference with other ocean-use and ecologically-sensitive areas.
- To measure the water quality and nutrient content for drinking water advisories
- To assess and monitor the marine ecosystem for assessment impact and management
- Quantification of the water quality
- Real-time monitoring of water quality and biological assessment for sustainable management
- Ecology design to minimize environmental impacts
- Validation of the efficiency of H-OTEC system
- Research Publications (2 for each MPhil, 3 for each PhD)
- Postgraduate students (2 Masters and 1 PhD by research)
- Dr. Suriyanti Su Nyun Pau – PROJECT LEADER
- Prof. Dr. Gires Usup
- Dr. Sathiabama T.Thirugnana
- Mr. Azrin Ariffin
- Mr. Mohammad Shafiq Rahmat
- PM Dr. Mohd Fadzil Mohd Akhir