What is Study Abroad/ Student Exchange Program?
Study Abroad/ Student Exchange program is a program which will allow you to spend one or two semesters at universities abroad and take courses in a regular semester with credit transfer opportunity. Students are encouraged to study at universities partners all around the world.
What are the differences between a Study Abroad and Student Exchange Program?
Most students who choose to undertake a Student Exchange program will do so on an Exchange-basis, i.e. students study overseas at one of UTM’s many partner universities for one or two semesters. There is, however, also the option of doing a Study Abroad-basis, meaning students study overseas at a non-partner university of their choice. Further differences between the two options are explained below:
Student Exchange Program
- Study overseas at one of UTM’s many partner universities which students usually entitled for tuition fees waiver depend on the available quotas
Study Abroad program
- Study overseas at a (non-partner) university of your choice which students need to pay tuition fees to the host university
- You apply to the host university with the assistance of the UTM International and will continue to pay your tuition fees to UTM
- Units taken at the host university are credited back toward your undergraduate or postgraduate degree at UTM
Application Requirements and Eligibility
- Registered as an active student at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM).
- Must complete at least one-semester study in UTM (one semester) and must NOT be in the last semester of study in UTM. As the first-semester student usually did not have an official transcript, the student is required to provide a supporting letter from the respective faculty.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or higher. The student with grade point average lower than 3.0 are required to provide us with a supporting letter/approval letter from the respective faculty.
- Possess a good command of the English Language
- Have a good physical and mental health condition.
- Be physically present in UTM at the time of application.
- Must agree to enrol at the host institution as described in the program plan.
- Must agree to abide by the rules and regulations of the host institution or placement provider.
- Should demonstrate empathy and understanding of cultural differences.
- Should demonstrate excellent personal skills.
- Agrees to be responsible for the costs incurred. The students may seek other sources of sponsors including that provided by UTM to subsidize some expenses including travel, accommodation and insurance.
- UTM Funding is only eligible for the local Malaysian students.
- Discuss with students’ academic advisor/deputy dean (academic)/dean of the faculty regarding academic matters and subjects selection at host university and receive acceptance letter from host university before apply to UTM International
- Inform parents /guardian about participation in study abroad program
- Pay tuition fees at home university (UTM) before depart to host university
- Student who plan to do exchange program to non-partner universities are required to apply at host university by themselves but approval by UTM for going abroad is COMPULSORY. PLEASE COMPLETE AND SUBMIT THE STUDENT APPLICATION FORM IN THE APPLICATION PROCEDURES BELOW (APPLICATION FORM FOR PROGRAM WITH FUNDING) THROUGH EMAIL TO email@example.com
Financial Support from UTM
List of Consortiums and External Funding Opportunites
Study Abroad/ Student Exchange Opportunities
Visit our portal to check our promoted outbound program:
The student may also seek to join any study abroad/ student exchange program at UTM partner universities from all over the world as below:
- List of partner universities: https://www.utm.my/international/international-partnerships/
Need more assistance?
Set your appointment and meet us to get more information:
Every Monday: 10.00 am – 11.00 am
Every Thursday: 2.00 pm – 3.00 pm
Block S19, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor
Book your appointment here: https://www.utm.my/international/request-information-session/
- Discuss with students’ academic advisor/deputy dean (academic)/dean of the faculty regarding academic matters and subjects selection at the host university and receive the acceptance letter from host university before applying to UTM International office
- Inform parents /guardian about participation in the study abroad/ student exchange program
- Pay tuition fees at home university (UTM) before departing to host university
- The student who plans to do the student exchange program to non-partner universities are required to apply at host university by themselves but the approval from UTM for going abroad is COMPULSORY. Please complete and submit the Study Abroad Application Form to UTM International