Centralized laboratory management was envisioned by Prof Dato’ Ir. Dr. Zaini Ujang (Vice Cancelor), which focusing on to make Universiti Teknologi Malaysia laboratories been recognized as an excellent laboratories at national and international levels.
University Laboratory Management Committee (Jawatankuasa Pengurusan Makmal Universiti (JKPMU)) chaired by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research and Innovation) is a platform to discuss any issues related to laboratory such as development, regulation, accreditation, competency and also coordination, uniformity and collaboration.
On Mac 2009, Laboratory Management Unit was established under Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research and Innovation) Office. On Disember 2011, Laboratory Management Unit was rebrand as University Laboratory Management Unit (UPMU).
Now our building are located at T03, University Industry Research Laboratory (UIRL), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia. A wide range of state-the-art instrumentation and technologies in various field are available for use by students and researchers in UTM and also other local universities and industries. We committed to provide the highest quality in lab testing and measurements.
To be recognized at the international level as a laboratory which provide world-class science & engineering research and teaching services.
To provide a quality laboratory services for analysis, scientific and engineering testing, advisory services for students, researchers and community by using latest equipment with competent and committed manpower.
- Coordinating laboratory management by appointed laboratory manager at each faculty.
- Monitoring laboratory activities at the faculty.
- Planning and improving the old and new laboratory development.
- Planning and improving the competency of laboratory staff.
- Planning the career path of laboratory staff.
- Creating strategic and centralized laboratory.
- As a bridge between university and industry for related laboratories fields.
- To get the specific laboratory recognition and certification such as ISO, 5S, accreditation and endorsement for competency of staff. (eg: boilerman, etc).
- Handling the finance related to laboratories such as RU budget, RMK and annual budget.
- Strengthen the collaboration with foreign laboratories.
- Being a reference and resource center for all parties (related to UTM laboratories and expertise).
1. Teaching Laboratory
♦ Laboratory for teaching purposes.
♦ Examples: laboratory workshop & Studio
2. Services Laboratory
♦ Workshop, store, analysis, calibration and instrumentation.
3. Research Laboratory
♦Laboratory for research purposes.
♦ Examples: center for “Research Group”.
4. Excellence Laboratory
♦ Special laboratory that generate income.
5. IT Laboratory
♦ Laboratory for IT facilities.
♦Examples: Website & word processing.
PPMU is responsible towards :
- Teaching lab
- Services lab
- All laboratory staff
- All laboratory space
- Maintenance (only for university equipment, research equipment are not included)
- Monitoring procurement of equipment/consumable material (based on university budget)
- Occupational Safety & Health (OSHE)
- Other rules that related to laboratory
- Conducting student’s research
- Conducting Undergraduate Project research
- Conducting Postgraduate research
- Conducting research
- Conducting consultations/experiments
- Running short courses