Malaysia Institute of Statistics (ISM) is an organization that promotes the proper practice, propagation, and dissemination of statistical knowledge in Malaysia. It was registered under the Malaysian Societies Act 1966 as a non-profit making body on August 17, 1984. The idea of establishing such a society was initiated on May 20, 1981 with the setting up of a Pro-team Committee for ISM.
BACKGROUND OF ISM-1 2012
In its effort to continuously promote the excellence in statistical research and application, the Malaysia Institute of Statistics (ISM) is organizing its first international conference on statistics in 2012. The Department of Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) has accepted the offer to host this inaugural conference in Persada Johor, Johor Bahru. Based on the successful organization of the the 9th Islamic Countries Conference on Statistical Sciences held in Shah Alam on December 12-14, 2007, ISM intends to promote the culture of strong cooperation amongst local universities, government agencies and industries in its activities.
HISTORY OF THE CONFERENCE
This is the first ISM International Statistical Conference organized by ISM. The conference will become a trademark for ISM as an organization to all statisticians in Malaysia. The conference is planned to be held every two years.
1. To bring together established and new researchers working on various statistical topics from all over the world.
2. To provide a platform for researchers and practitioners in statistical sciences to actively share their research experiences, ideas and contributions in a stimulating environment.
3. To forge greater cooperation between statisticians in Malaysia and the rest of the world.
4. To promote the discipline of statistics as a profession in the wider community, particularly to the decision makers.
5. To promote interaction and understanding amongst statisticians in the world.