Azmi bin Aris, PhD
Professor and Director
Centre for Environemntal Sustainability and Water Security
Block C07, Level 2,
Universiti Teknologi Malaysia,
81310 Johor Bahru, Johor
Phone: +607 553 1574
Fax: +607 553 1575
Ph.D. Environmental Engineering – UMIST, UK, 2004
M.Eng. Civil & Environmental Engineering – Clarkson University, USA, 1994
B.Sc. Civil Engineering – Universitiy of Southern California, USA 1987
Teaching and Research Interest
Prof. Dr. Aris teaches various courses related to environmental engineering, management and science at undergraduate and masters levels. These include water and wastewater treatment, biological and physico-chemical treatment processes, sludge management, industrial and hazardous waste management and water quality management. In research, he has been working with biogranulation process, several types of Advanced Oxidation Processes (AOPs) including Fenton and photo-Fenton and recently, on Hydrodynamic Cavitation, and struvite precipitation. In particular, he is looking at how these processes work in treating coloured wastewater such as effluents from textile and palm oil mill industries.
Representative Research Publications
- Darwish, M., Aris, A., Puteh, M.H., Abideen, M.Z., Othman, M.N., Ammonium-nitrogen recovery from wastewater by struvite precipitation technology. Separation & Purification Reviews. DOI: 10.1080/15422119.2015.1119699.
- Muda, K., Aris, A., Salim, M.R., Ibrahim, Z., Ahmad, A., Nawahwi, M.Z., Affam, A.C., Aggregation and Surface Hydrophobicity of Selected Microorganism due to the Effect of Substrate, pH and Temperature, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation. Vol. 93, 202-209, 2014.
- Sayid Abdullah, S.H.Y., Abu Hassan, M.A., Zainon Noor, Z., Aris, A., Fenton and Photo-Fenton Oxidation of Sulfidic Spent Caustic: A Statistical Analysis, Environmental Engineering and Management Journal, 13, No. 3, 531-538, 2014.
- Lim, C.K., Aris, A., Neoh, C.H., Lam, C.Y., Abdul Majid, Z., and Ibrahim, Z., Evaluation of macrocomposite based sequencing batch biofilm reactor (MC-SBBR) for decolorization and biodegradation of azo dye Acid Orange 7, International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, Vol. 87, 9-17, 2014 (ISI).
- Muda, K., Aris, A., Salim, M.R., Ibrahim, Z., Ahmad, A., Nawahwi, M.Z., COD and Color Removal from Textile Effluent using Granular Sludge Biomass: Effect of Substrate and Riboflavin, Desalination and Water Treatment. Volume 52, No. 37-39, pp 7366-7376, 2014.
- Muda, K., Aris, A., Salim, M.R., Ibrahim, Z., Textile Wastewater Treatment Using Biogranules Under Intermittent Anaerobic/Aerobic Reaction Phase, Journal of Water and Environment Technology, 10, No. 3, pp. 303-315, 2012.
- Muda, K., Aris, A., Salim, M.R., Ibrahim, Z., van Loosdrecht, M.C.M., Ahmad, A., Nawahwi, M.Z., The Effect of Hydraulic Retention Time on Granular Sludge Biomass in Treating Textile Wastewater, Water Research, Vol. 45, No. 16, pp 4711-4721, 2011.
- Akhtar, J., Amin, N.S., Aris, A., Combined Adsorption and Catalytic Ozonation for Removal of Sulfamethoxazole using Fe2O3/CeO2 Loaded Activated Carbon, Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol. 170, pp. 136 – 144, 2011.
- Muda, K., Aris, A., Salim, M.R., Ibrahim, Z., Yahya, A., Ahmad, A., Nawahwi, M.Z., Development of Granular Sludge For Textile Wastewater Treatment, Water Research, Vol. 44, No. 15, pp. 4341-4350, 2010.
- Amin, M.F.M., Ibrahim, Z., Yahya, A., Aris, A., Muda, K., Characteristics of the Developed Granules Containing Selected Decolourising Bacteria for the Degradation of Textile Wastewater, Water Science Technology, Vol. 61, No. 5, pp. 1279-1288, 2010.
- Ibrahim, Z., Amin, M.F.M., Yahya, A., Aris, A., Umor, A., Muda, K., Sofian, N.S., Characterisation of Microbial Flocs Formed from Raw Textile Wastewater in Aerobic Biofilm Reactor (ABR), Water Science Technology, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 683-688, 2009.
- Aris, A., Siew, O.B., Kee, K.S. and Ujang, Z., Tertiary Treatment of Palm Oil Mill Effluent using Fenton Oxidation, Malaysian Journal of Civil Engineering, 20, pp12-25, 2008.
- Aris, A. and Sharratt, P.N., Influence of Initial Dissolved Oxygen Concentration on Fenton’s Reagent Process, Environmental Technology, Vol. 27, pp. 1153-1161, 2006.
- Aris, A. and Sharratt, P.N., Fenton Oxidation of Reactive Black 5: Effect of Mixing Intensity and Reagent Addition Strategy, Environmental Technology, Vol 25, pp. 601-612, 2004.
- Namkung, K.C., Aris, A., Sharratt, P.N., Characterization of Effects of Selected Organic Substances on Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide during Fenton Reaction, Water Science and Technology, Vol. 49, No. 4, pp. 129-134, 2004