The Bioresources Unit was established in 2014 as a result from the merging of the Biomass & Bioenergy unit with the Biofertilizer unit. Being one of the units under UTM’s Institute of Bioproduct
Development, Bioresources Unit aspires to assist in the fulfilment of government aspiration in promoting the utilization of biomass generated by the industry into commercially viable products.
In accordance to the zero waste strategy, numerous research projects relating to exploitation of biomass were carried out because of the shift towards renewable, green and low-carbon products.
The establishment of the unit is hoped to enhance the R&D scope and activities, especially in collaboration with industrial and research sector in exploiting the Malaysian biomass for various
applications. In accordance with that, this unit is equipped with state-of-the arts instruments together with provision of analytical service and R&D&C consultation relevant to the research area.
• To spearhead R&D&C activities in the field of biomass utilization including fundamental and
applied research, analytical service, consultancy service and business development.
• To utilize the potential of biomass into high-income, zero waste and value-addition products.
• To promote the use of biomass products as renewable energy source and sustainable supply.
• To create new business opportunities to the industry.
• Utilization of agricultural waste biomass as raw materials for various commercially-viable processes
• Agricultural crop production (biofertilizer, biopesticide)
• Improvement of soil quality (biofertilizer)
• Animal feed
• Beneficial Microbe identification (SAMM ISO 17025 Accreditation)
• Macronutrient & Micronutrient analysis
• Water Quality Analysis (SAMM ISO 17025 Accreditation)
• Short-term training/ Intensive course on the focus areas
• Product testing in lab and commercial scale
• Product formulation related to the focus areas
• Design from lab to industrial scale
• Technology licensing
Maizatulakmal bt. Yahayu (Mrs.)
Research Officer (Bioresources Unit) Department of Bioproduct Research & Innovation
Institute of Bioproduct Development (IBD) Universiti Teknologi Malaysia 81310 UTM Johor Bahru Johor, Malaysia
Office: 07-553 1648