In line with the initiative by Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) to develop an Ecotourism Campus, an area has been created for bird watching. The existence of a variety of flora and fauna found in UTM has turned it into a unique attraction for many bird species gathering in this area and are scattered in this campus. This could be an exciting activity for bird lovers in Johor to come and visit UTM for the purpose of bird watching. UTM Bird Watching areas are opened to public. Binoculars will be provided (upon request).
1. Bird watching stations placed at various locations have gazebos and bulletin boards about the birds in the area. Signs to the site are located at strategic cross junctions to enable visitors to arrive at the destinations easily.
2. Binoculars are also available for rental to visitors who wish to carry out these activities.
Signs leading to the sight are located at:
Tasik Desa Bakti
In this area there are water birds from species like kedidi, seagulls, herons, storks, eagles, wak-wak and so forth.
Tasik Kolej Tunku Canselor
Bird species found here can be considered the same as those on the site listed above but with additional species such as sparrows, belatok, kingfisher, etc.
UTM Recreational Park
Apart from the species listed above, there are also birds from species such as quail, hut-hut, Perling, jampok, etc.
UTM Orchard at the back of the Vice Chancellor’s Residence
Here, bird species found in forests and parks such as bulbul, magpies, pigeons, owls, beberek, sepah putri, kelicap, etc. can be found.
Monday-Sunday (7.00 am-7.00pm)
Guided Tours through the Ecotourism Campus packages will be conducted by the staff of Office of Asset and Development within the designated time.
1.Binoculars will only be provided if the tour is the Ecotourism Campus package and accompanied by a tour guide.
2.Guests / Visitors ARE PROHIBITED from taking/ removing / modifying / damaging any facilities in this area, including the equipment.
3. The applicant is fully responsible any damages, waste or theft of any facilities / equipment in the area.
4. The university is not responsible for any loss / accident caused to guests / visitors during the activity / visit.
5. Users are prohibited from throwing garbage / food waste in this area.
6. Guests / Visitors / users are prohibited from having activities that would risk the safety of the area around the area.
7. Guests / Visitors / users are prohibited from causing any damage to the flora and fauna habitat, including plants and animals (especially birds) found in this area.
8. The rented binoculars are returned in good condition. If the binoculars are found to be broken / damaged, a compensation charge (based on the price of the binocular- each binocular: RM 400.00) will be charged immediately.
9. The environment must be kept clean and safe for use.
10. Payments (cheques payable to the UTM Bursar / cash) or refunds of deposit are subject to claims to be made at the Office of Ecotourism Campus, Asset and Ceremony Unit, Office of Asset and Development, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia.
FOR BOOKINGS / FURTHER INFORMATION:
Zaidi bin Hj. Mohmod
Head of Ecotourism Campus, Asset and Ceremony Unit
Office of Asset and Development
81310 UTM Johor Bahru, Johor.
Telephone : +607- 55 30167 (Direct Line) / 31216 / 30047 (Hunting Line)
Fax : +607- 5530582
Official E-mail : email@example.com